Friday, May 7, 2010
The written denomination on the back of early 1 Kip notes (P25 unlisted) contains an incorrect accent over the next-to-last character which is corrected on later notes (P25a). SCWPM does not list this but has now been correctly listed in Owen Linzmayer's upcoming catalog.
Commemorative 100 Baht banknotes has been issued last Tuesday to mark the 60th Anniversary of the Royal Wedding and the Royal Coronation of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.
I got my first banknotes on the same day but cannot post any scans as these banknotes have EURion constellation patterns on the reverse to prevent counterfeiting. EURion constellation is a pattern of five rings which are incorporated into the banknote's design which help software in digital copiers and scanners to identify banknotes.
The obverse is similar to current series 15 circulation notes (Pick 114) while the reverse feature the 60th anniversary of the Royal Wedding (28 April 1950) and the Royal Coronation of HM the King (5 May 1950). Serial number run from 9ธ(R)0000001 to 9ธ(R)9999999. Specimen notes are available but replacement notes have not been noticed as of yet. Will keep my readers posted.
To mark both occasions, postage stamps have also been issued on respective dates. See images below:
Monday, May 3, 2010
On 22nd December 2009, the Treasury department of Thailand had announced plans for release of commemorative coins during the year 2010. See updates on these coins below.
1. 10 Baht Bi-metallic coin marking "100 years of Command and General Staff College, Royal Thai Army" (http://numis-asia.blogspot.com/2009/07/thailand-new-commemorative-coins.html) - No definite issue date.
2. "World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Global Leader Award to HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej" - 16,000 Baht 99% Gold and 800 Baht 99% Silver proof coins along with a 20 Baht Cupro-nickel coin (http://numis-asia.blogspot.com/2009/12/thailand-new-commemorative-coins.html) - Issue date not finalised but sketches of design released.
3. "84th Birthday of HRH Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda Sirisobhabannavadi" - Silver 800 Baht, Cupro-Nickel 20 Baht and Bi-metallic 10 Baht coins - Will be issued very soon.
4. 10 Baht Bi-metallic coin marking "150th Birthday of HRH Prince Bhanurangsi Savangwongse" - No definite issue date.
5. 20 Baht Cupro-nickel coin marking "Father of Thai Trade title given to HM King Rama 3" - No definite issue date.
6. 50 Baht Cupro-nickel coin marking "150 years of Royal Thai Mint" - No definite issue date.
Two new coins are also being talked about.
7. "60 years Royal Coronation of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand" - 25,000 Baht 99% Gold (26mmx15g) and 1,000 Baht 99% Silver (30mmx15g) coins - will be announced mid-May and made available to public by reservation only.
8. "60 years Royal Wedding of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand" - details not known.
Saturday, May 1, 2010
The Bank of Thailand (BoT) will launch a 100 Baht banknote to mark the 60th Anniversary of the Royal Wedding and the Royal Coronation of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand. A total of 9,999,999 banknotes will be available from 4 May 2010 onwards at all commercial bank branches.
The obverse is similar to current series 15 circulation notes or Pick 114 except the serial number which will run from 9Rธ0000001 to 9Rธ9999999. However, the reverse will feature the 60th anniversary of the Royal Wedding (28 April 1950) and the Royal Coronation of HM the King (5 May 1950).